I have been buying bananas in bulk thinking my kids are going to eat them all. Let’s be honest though most just get left sitting on our fruit shelf until they are brown and mushy. Well I have found the perfect use for those bananas your family didn’t eat. Make them into donuts because donuts will always be better than bananas.
Banana Bread Donuts
Inspired by The Little Plantation
Note: I used a scale to weigh my flour, sugar and chocolate chips based on the measurements from the original recipe. Pssst these doughnuts are also gluten free!
FOR THE DONUTS
- 185g gluten-free pastry flour (I used Jovial**)
- ⅔ tsp baking powder
- 75g coconut sugar
- 35g vegan chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted (+ extra for greasing the doughnut tin)
- 1.5 tablespoons ground flax seeds + 4.5 tablespoons water
- 1.5 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup vanilla vegan yogurt
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 bar of your favorite chocolate
- Flaked Coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease the circles of your doughnut pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients – the flour, baking powder and sugar until nicely combined. Add the chocolate chips and mix in well. Set aside.
- combine the ground flax seeds with the water in a small bowl and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Over a very low heat, melt the coconut oil.
- In a small bowl mix together the melted coconut oil, the mashed bananas, the yogurt and the water/flax seed mixture; stir to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag and pipe circles of dough into the prepared doughnut pan. Spread evenly. Bake for 13 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- While the donuts are cooling, prepare the glaze by melting the chocolate in a double boiler or simply a bowl placed over a pan with water that’s been gently brought to the boil. Do not microwave the chocolate or it may burn.
- Once the donuts have cooled down, dip them in the chocolate glaze and top with coconut chips.
I recommend eating these donuts right away or store them in the fridge. If you and/or your family is anything like me and mine these won’t last more than a day anyways.